1. Frank Ocean // Pyramids: The almost ten minute track off of Ocean’s upcoming album, Channel Orange, combines a mixture of his trademark smooth, crooning vocals with an easily dancable beat, then suddenly halts to a darker, denser rhythm. ‘Pyramids’ easily becomes a summer favorite, to be repeated over and over.
2. Cat Power // Ruin: Chan Marshall’s first original album in six years, Sun, doesn’t disappoint with the new single, ‘Ruin’. As globetrotting as its lyrics, ‘Ruin’, runs alongside Marshall’s sultry vocals. (Full track list.)
3. Marina and the Diamonds // Primadonna: Like many pop songs, ‘Primadonna’ seems a bit contradictory, a little naive, and very likely to be stuck in your head. Unlike most pop songs, Marina seems to know it’s contradictory, and therefore has more of a satirical element that is ever so addicting.
4. Stars // The Theory of Relativity: Montreal’s Stars delievered us their first single off their newest LP, The North, due in September. The synthy beats are more than enough to cool off a hot summer day.
5. Ty Segall Band // I Bought My Eyes: Ty Segall is certainly ambitious; in the past few months, he’s collaborated with White Fence, he plans a solo album later this year, and Slaughterhouse is only the second of three full-length album releases. ‘I Bought My Eyes’ begins innocently enough but ends up leaving you dizzy from the garage-rock reverb.
6. Fossil Collective // Let It Go: Fossil Collective’s harmonies sound like part Fleet Foxes, part Head and the Heart. The multi-instrumentalists hail from Leeds, England, and give the American folk scene a run for their money with beautiful lyrics and a subtle English tone.
7. Rick Ross with Gunplay, Stalley, Wale, Meek Mill & Kendrick Lamar // Power Circle: ‘Power Circle’ is definitely the correct title for this talent-enriched new single from the Maybach Music Group. Founded by powerhouse rapper, Rick Ross, in 2009, MMG has produced their own compilations, fittingly named Self Made.
8. PUJOL // Providence: Nashville native, Daniel Pujol, debuted his first full length album, The United States of Being, June 5th. ‘Providence’ is the catchy first single that is perfect when paired with a cold beer on a hot day.
9. Waters // If Only: Even though the debut album from Van Pierszalowski’s project, WATERS, was released last September, new songs keep arising. This upbeat, surf-rock gem feels like an effortless day at the beach.
10. Little Dragon // Sunshine: Little Dragon just released a shameless marketing ploy/music video/commercial with Absolut Vodka to advertise Absolut’s new flavor, Mandarin, as well as Little Dragon’s new album. I’m a little unsure how this is supposed to make me crave a “fruity, fizzy, summer-perfect cocktail” but I do know that it does make me want to lay out in the sunshine.